JEC Americas 2012 Preview: Ticona
The Ticona technical paper, titled "Improving impact performance in D-LFT composites with UD-Tape based fabrics & laminates," will be presented by Michael Ruby, technology launch manager, during the Driving Solutions section of the Thermoplastics Forum from 10:30 to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 8.
Based on a Ticona study of an automotive underbody shield (UBS), the paper describes ways to increase stiffness/strength and impact resistance of composites by using continuous strand, unidirectional (UD) glass reinforced thermoplastic composite tapes to produce woven fabrics as well as tailored blank laminates.
Ticona, Booth C 22, will display its thermoplastic solutions for continuous-fiber composites used in light and tough components that can reduce weight, drive down costs and perform in extreme environments.
The exhibit will highlight an automotive underbody shield (UBS) that is manufactured from direct-long-fiber thermoplastic (D-LFT) composites and selectively reinforced with continuous-fiber semi-finished fabrics and laminates to improve stiffness and impact performance while maintaining a good cost / weight ratio.
Ticona high-performance thermoplastics and composites include:
Fortron® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) with proven production performance in critical aerospace structures:
· Superior FST (flame, smoke, toxicity) performance - exceeds aircraft interior requirements
· High-temperature performance to 240 degrees Celsius (as demonstrated under-the-hood)
· Superior dimensional stability (low shrink, CTE and creep)
· Broad chemical resistance to fuels, oils, solvents, fluids, strong acids, bases (pH 2-12), even at elevated temperatures
· Substantial cost savings vs. other high-temperature polymers
Celstran® continuous fiber reinforced thermoplastics (CFR-TP) for unidirectional tapes, rods and profiles:
· Low weight with high stiffness and toughness
· Excellent impregnation technology
· High-performance dimensional, mechanical and thermal properties
· Superior chemical and corrosion resistance
· Wide range of resins, fibers and additives
Ticona encourages you to visit thermoplastics for composites. Read how Ticona continues to develop thermoplastics for composites for use in aerospace, oil and gas, automotive and industrial applications.
Posted on November 5, 2012